Somewhere there is a child watching Hidden Figures and somewhere a child is watching reality TV that celebrates the worst in human behavior. What is the bar you have set for yourself, your children, your country?
Who we will be as a country equals the love, communication, and respect we have for each other. Who we will be as a country equals the schools that teach our children, and the commitment we have to keep educating ourselves after we graduate. It is time, America, for all of us to show up with a newfound conviction for greatness.
In this time of political and moral strife in America, we must all choose to do more, learn more, and be more—or we will have no one to blame but ourselves for what happens. We must all join the ranks of the resistance to change the direction of this current establishment, whose only interests seem to be to line the pockets of the rich at the cost of its people, the health of our nation and the health of our planet. We must fight the lies by educating ourselves with the facts and be willing to have the tough conversations at the coffee shop, the family table and anywhere you can. How?
- Debate armed with facts, don’t fight with emotion, and be willing to try and try again. Let’s hope that what is happening now serves to unite Republicans, Democrats and a country in doing the right thing because we are “Stronger Together.” We must keep the resistance going and never stop because they won’t.
- Know that self-care is necessary to stay in it to win it for the long haul and that’s okay—take a break if you need, then jump back in with renewed vigor.
- Support our free press by subscribing to newspapers and keep putting our money where our mouth is with boycotts and support of those supporting the movement.
- Show up at town halls and marches, be seen and be heard.
- Run for office, volunteer at schools, keep involved in groups and the resistance.
- Donate your skills and your time to create the art that tells the story and inspires. If you are a carpenter: Build. If you are a web developer: Build. If it does not exist: Create it. Or join a group and volunteer—just keep showing up.
The time is now. In the face of what is before us, dig deep because this isn’t going to be easy. Your free time will be less, but your freedom and the freedom of others will be greater if you fight. This is your moment to keep America the land of the free and the brave. Whoever you are, wherever you are, know there is only one you and we need you and your unique talents now more than ever.
On this President’s Day, we look to you.